A Compliment Indeed!
On Friday I travelled up to the stunning and exclusive Ragdale Hall Spa Resort in Leicestershire to give a dance workshop to the fitness team there. I was asked to go by Dean Hodgkin, the resort manager who is also a total fitness presenting legend in his own right. I have known him ever since I began going to fitness conventions 17 years ago and looked up to him massively. I was very grateful when Dean was kind enough to let me share the stage with him and teach his warm up at an event when I was a budding presenter, wet behind the ears.
I'm going to big him up now, not because his ego needs massaging at all, but because there needs to be some context given before I tell you what he said about me...
- He is an international fitness ambassador, having appeared at fitness events in 36 countries over the last 26 years.
- His written work can regularly be seen in the mainstream press, he has a number of broadcast credits to his name, both on television and radio together with presenting a number of workout DVDs.
- He is Fitness Consultant to a number of very well known companies.
- As a sportsman he was 3-times World and 2-times European Karate Champion.
- He received the 2012 IFS Lifetime Achievement Award for services to the Fitness Industry.
- He was voted Best International Fitness Presenter at the One Body One World Awards in New York.
I think it's safe to say he knows what he is talking about when it comes to the fitness industry and group exercise. With that being said, take a look at what he had to say about my workshop...
I've often been involved in conversations regarding fitness presenting and whilst some think it implies being on stage in front of a big crowd, today I saw what it's really all about.......Only 3 instructors in the workshop, but they left with these comments, 'I hope we make people feel like that after our classes', 'I can't wait to teach my next class', I just want to be her'! Thank you for an incredibly inspirational experience Zoe McNulty - a true professional.
I'm not sharing this with you to blow my own trumpet (well, maybe a little bit!) I'm sharing this because it moved me to tears and this right here is why I do what I do in the way that I do it... actually, no that's not it, that would suggest that I had pre-meditated the outcome. I was given a task to do, to give a group of instructors some choreography (I love choreography, I love music, I love dancing, I love teaching, I love sharing.... how could it not be joyous??) and I just did what I was asked to do. My 'subjects' were an utter pleasure to teach and the fact that they responded like this is the icing on the cake.
I love my job.
And if you're an instructor, I'm telling you all this to show you that I'm absolutely the person you need to help you grow, to help you to enthuse your class participants and get them feeling fabulous and to help you to be an inspiration.
Shameless plug alert! Join me on one of my Strutology® courses. The nation needs more inspiring instructors and not necessarily those who promote an "unhealthily healthy" lifestyle of unrealistic clean eating and vigorous exercise.
Let a bit of me rub off on you!